Alexia Putellas, Barca and Spain midfielder has earned the 2021 women’s Ballon d’Or.
Putellas was one of five players proposed from the Barca team following their first Champions League victory along with earning the Primera Division title.
She was the highest-scoring midfielder in Europe with 26 goals in all tournaments last season.
She was also named UEFA’s Women’s Player of the Year and midfielder of the year.
Barcelona teammate Jennifer Hermoso was second, with Chelsea striker Sam Kerr third and Arsenal forward Vivianne Miedema fourth.
Speaking through a translator at the Paris ceremony, Putellas stated: “I’m very emotional, it’s a very special moment.”
“I would like to start by thanking all my team-mates, especially my current [Barcelona] team-mates. For me it’s a collective success.”
Women’s Ballon d’Or nominees
- Alexia Putellas (Barcelona)
- Magdalena Eriksson (Chelsea)
- Marie-Antoinette Katoto (Paris Saint-Germain)
- Sam Kerr (Chelsea)
- Stina Blackstenius (BK Hacken)
- Wendie Renard (Lyon)
- Samantha Mewis (North Carolina Courage)
- Pernille Harder (Chelsea)
- Vivianne Miedema (Arsenal)
- Sandra Panos (Barcelona)
- Lieke Martens (Barcelona)
- Jessie Fleming (Chelsea)
- Irene Paredes (Barcelona)
- Ashley Lawrence (Paris Saint-Germain)
- Christine Sinclair (Portland Thorns)
- Ellen White (Manchester City)
- Christiane Endler (Lyon)
- Jennifer Hermoso (Barcelona)
- Fran Kirby (Chelsea)
- Kaddiatou Diani (Paris Saint-Germain)